Monday, July 12, 2010

My ISP Sucks

After countless calls to my Internet service provider (ISP) and four visits from various technicians, it appears that our house connection is finally working at reasonable speeds (10 Meg download).

Most infuriating parts of the whole experience so far?
  • Realizing that the complicated way I had my modem "bridged" to my wireless router was in fact totally unnecessary and probably negatively impacting my speeds. The only reason it was ever set up that way was because my ISP said to do it that way.
  • Being told to disconnect my router and recycle my modem EVERY SINGLE TIME I talked to anyone at my ISP (at least 20 times all together), even though I knew the problem wasn't on my end.
  • Having the technician show up in the middle of my work day and being surprised when I wasn't cool with just losing my Internet connection for an indeterminate amount of time. Ever heard of "working from home?"
  • Being told "Yep, we fixed it on our end; the slow speed problem is on your end" and being forced to dismantle my network for the umpteenth time, only to have the guy interrupt me half way through that process to tell me, "Oh, I just got an IM from [some other guy]. He says that we haven't actually increased your connection speed yet. It'll be fixed by this coming Friday."
  • Having it not be fixed by that coming Friday. Or the next Friday. Or the next.
  • Being told by "tech support" that I should call customer service once this is all over to get my billing straightened out. Excuse me? I thought I was already talking to customer service. I actually said, "So you can't say to me 'I'll make sure that your billing gets straightened out, sir'?" And I was told, "Nope we [tech support] can't call customer service."
The most infuriating part of the whole process yet to come? The certainty that I'll be charged for the faster connection for the three weeks between when they said I had it and when I actually got it.

Yes, I know that unfair additional charge for those weeks only amounts to about $10. I'll still probably end up going to jail over it.

No comments: